Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Direction the Class Needs

If I had to pick one thing that bothers me the most, it would be the vague journal topics. I mentioned in my previous journal entries that I preferred to have straightforward statements or questions. It helps me to build on my thoughts and ideas more, providing generous information. However, when a random quote from a novel comes up, my brain takes a long time to process the given quote. When everything clicks, I begin to ramble. It doesn’t even click. Sometimes this 'rambling' makes me wonder if I’m even going the right path but Mr.McCarthy's words remind me once more: There is no right or wrong in journals. Still, I’d like to be directed  in where I’m supposed to go.
In the first several weeks of American Literature, I was very confused about the classroom procedures. It was pretty hard to follow, especially because I wasn’t sure what exactly was important that came out of Mr. McCarthy’s mouth. We would be moving from topic to topic, and with unclear transitions I often found myself lost. The homework, blogs, and other assignments had to be re-asked among my friends after class because they weren’t sure.
I’ve become used to the class however, and I tend to enjoy it. Mr. McCarthy’s unique way of teaching, exposing our thoughts and making our imagination grow through his open discussions, can be beneficial. Now I’m able to understand and evaluate on his intention of making us think and develop without limit; our paths are not blocked by teacher’s directions but we should go and write as we please. This freedom is a valuable opportunity that is rarely given by other teachers and classes. I should learn more to take it in advantage!  

1 comment:

  1. yeah, i agree with the journal thing. they are really random, but i personally am okay with it. also, i agree that the class can be all over the place, i guess just because it's just like a giant discussion that you have to follow closely. also, i like how you pointed out how he's made us more open to exposing our thoughts, it's so true, and it's one of the main parts of our class.

    ReplyDelete