Thursday, February 17, 2011

Response to Black Boy

As a reader, I feel as if the story of Black Boy is repetitive, with situations happening in the same routine. Although the events differ from time to time, Richard always seems to be going through constant challenges through his life. But in the end, most of one’s life is a repeating cycle so why should he deserve blame?
            As much as it is a true story (an autobiography), you can’t really expect new occasions to occur daily. Unfortunately Richard’s life is misfortunate so far, with no encouragement or support but full of mischief and trouble. As a toddler he was involved with accidents, violence, alcohol, and starvation. Once he decides to act, it brings harm to himself and the family. He slowly fights against the constant obstacles of his life (such as the abandonment of his dad, saloons, beatings, racism,mother’s illness,etc) and is faced with new ones. The tragic situations with barely any hint of hope bring the thought of giving up. The book becomes more overbearing to take as it is constantly reminded that it has all happened in a person (especially as a child)’s life.
            Then I ask myself, after the rough childhood and intolerable events, how did Richard overcome such a life and succeed to where he stands now as a famous writer? Could I have been able to do that when experienced the same? The answer is I am not sure. Until I read the book, I’ve always thought a successful person comes from proper education, the right childhood, and a content family background with lots of love and care. Richard Wright proved it wrong. Therefore I give the book a chance to make me realize what more he went through to deserve all the admiration and honor later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment