Sunday, October 24, 2010

Korean-American.

       I was only eight years old when I stepped into the land not realizing this will be my home. It was the turning point of my life where I had to leave all my childhood memories behind and start new in a different environment. The first few years I struggled. The lack of communication, unfamiliar dialect, strange people and culture, etc. I did not feel like I was home until I finished junior high. But it came soon after that, hitting me like a brick wall recognizing this was where I belong.
 
I lived exactly half of my life in my home country, and half in United States. The year that balanced out the two, I felt that I wasn’t fully involved in one or the other culture. I knew by then the best of both worlds, what it’s like to be as a Korean or an American.
 
       The main thing that helped me to realize I was an American was the lack of understanding with my parents. The two different cultures were a struggle and still is now, the biggest problem I endure. It is hard to make them understand my position as an American teenager since they still accept me as a Korean.  I don’t specifically prefer one or the other but I’d like to be loved for who I am, wherever I am.

3 comments:

  1. I understand how it feels to be between two different cultures and deciding on which of the two you really are. Being in the United States and living with all the rights of an American made me realize that I was an American and still at heart, to my parents, I am Chinese. We're on the same boat, kimchi (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it cool that you get the best of both worlds, but still you have the struggle. I hope that in any sitation you are in you are able to feel loved from everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete